Want to know how to make sperm stronger and healthier? The media is full of recent articles on declining sperm numbers and poor sperm health.
And here we are not talking about individual countries but world-wide. So what can you do to make your sperm stronger? I’m often asked this question, as poor sperm quality, low sperm motility, poor sperm morphology and low sperm counts are major contributing causes of miscarriages and account for nearly half of all cases of infertility. But before we delve into what you can do to make sperm stronger lets take a look at what could be contributing to this sudden drop in sperm quality and quantity.
High-Tech Gadgets Won’t Make Sperm Stronger
Mobile phones, iPads, iPods, laptops, computers etc…We can’t live without them, they are fun to use and serve a purpose. But! They are also sources of EM (electro magnetic) radiation. Radiation targets fast growing and replicating cells. Which is why it’s so useful for cancer treatment. Sperm cells however also fall into this category, which is why cancer patients before treatments are often asked to freeze their sperm, mainly because of the chemotherapy, but also radiation can have a negative effect. Men unfortunately don’t carry purses so the only logical place for them to put their iPhone is in their pant’s pocket. The trouble with this is that your testicles are now close to a source of EM radiation so powerful that it needs to be able to send and receive signals from satellites in space! Now, do you think this is a good idea if you need to make sperm stronger? No! certainly not! Carry your mobile phone in your jacket pocket and when you are sitting down somewhere pull it out on the table. Also try to only use headsets to make calls from it as holding the mobile phone frequently up to your ear is also not such a good idea for the brain long term!
Convenience Diet Won’t Make Sperm Stronger
Let’s face it, we all work long hours and by the time we get home we are tired, hungry and often faced with an empty fridge. This especially applies when both partners work full-time. When this happens take-out, pizza and other home-delivery fast food options start to look appealing – which is not the way to make sperm stronger!
Unfortunately, these take-out foods are laden with trans-fats, artificial colors, taste enhancers, food additives, pesticides, hormones and preservatives. These sub-optimal building blocks are only going to contribute to poor quality sperm as to make sperm stronger and of good quality you need lots of good fats such as omega 3, 6 and 9, vitamin C, zinc, selenium and good quality amino acids for staying healthy.
So the solution here to make sperm stronger is to go shopping on the weekend at your local markets! Stock up your fridge with apples, oranges, lemons, bananas and vegetables like carrots, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers, tasty dips like hummus (made from chickpeas), and nuts such as almonds, Brazil nuts, pistachios and pumpkin seeds. That way you’ll always have healthy snacks on hand which will tie you over while you prepare a healthy dinner.
A Sedentary Lifestyle Won’t Help Make Sperm Stronger
Eight to ten hours sitting in front of your computer, followed by half an hour drive to your home, followed by three to four hours on the couch and then seven to eight hours sleeping in your bed. What is wrong with this picture? There is no physical activity! We used to be nomads who could walk from one end of a continent to the other in a year! And guess what? Our body and metabolism are still wired the same way. But we don’t use our muscles as much any more so our sedentary lifestyle contributes to weight gain. And this is very bad news for your sperm. In men abdominal fat is particularly bad. Fat is not just an inert blob of jiggly mass. Oh no! It’s a little hormone factory signaling our brain and endocrine system 24/7! It influences our appetite and also regulates your testosterone levels. Too much abdominal fat = too much estrogen. Too much estrogen in men leads to poor sperm quality and unfortunately predisposes to man-boobs!
How to Make Sperm Stronger
- Don’t carry your mobile phone in your pocket – get a man bag, or if this is too much for you, get one of those iPod arm sleeves for sports and carry it around your arm. Always remove all EM emitting gadgets from your body when you arrive at work/home.
- Don’t sit with your laptop in your lap – for similar reasons as carrying your mobile phone in your pocket, you should not work with your laptop in your lap. Close proximity to your testicles can damage sperm and not to mention the thermic heat emitted from the laptop which can also slow-cook your sperm batch.
- Get a Q-Link – these EM shields have been extensively studied and work by enhancing your body’s own EM shield, which offers more resistance to other sources of EM radiation and in so doing protects you from their negative influence.
- Snack on pumpkin seeds and Brazil nuts – pumpkin seeds are a great source of zinc and men need lots of zinc! Men loose some of their zinc reserve with each ejaculation. If you have white spots and lines on more than one finger nail you have a zinc deficiency. A handful of pumpkin seeds a day should ensure you are getting your zinc. Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium, another mineral important for healthy sperm. Eat 3-4 Brazil nuts a day.
- Get those muscles working – Strong muscles contribute to fat burn, regulate your metabolism and make you look good! Exercise is one of the best things you can do to boost your health. It boosts your immune system, improves your blood circulation (which is very important for strong and lasting erections), helps sweat out toxins, improves sleep quality, improves your mood via the surge of endorphins experienced after exercise and boosts your testosterone which you need to make sperm stronger.
- Have a green smoothie a day – a handful of baby spinach, one banana, one apple, a handful of frozen berries, one whole organic lemon with the peel and filtered water according to taste, blend until it reaches a smooth consistency and drink! One of these a day in the morning will ensure you get your fresh enzymes, minerals and vitamins for the day.
- Keep your swimmers cool – there is a reason why testicles are located outside your body (unlike ovaries, which are tucked nicely inside). Your swimmers don’t like it hot! They need to be 1-2 degree cooler than your body, hence the scrotum! Too much heat can damage sperm, so make sure that you wear loose, breathable underwear, and at night keep your testicles from overheating by sleeping with only light covers or a la nature (naked)!
And remember it takes 90 days for your body to produce a new batch of sperm so whatever changes you implement you will need to stick with them for at least 90 days to see the improvements. You can do a small experiment, have a sperm analysis done now, then implement the changes and have your sperm retested after 90 days! I would love to see those before and after results so send them through!
Would you like 71 strategies to make sperm stronger, healthier and more vital? Check out my sperm boosting program: ‘Supercharge Your Sperm Naturally: 71 Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Sperm Health By Up To 400% in 91 Days’
© 2012 Iva Keene and Natural Fertility Prescription